> DEBATE: Udan secondary amendment to Evan's REAL, Until 26 Dec at 13.45
csuperman7
Posted: Dec 24 2006, 01:41 PM
Quote Post

Heterosexually challenged

Group: Admin
Member No.: 528

The amendment would add and strike the following:

(a) IN GENERAL- Each eligible State shall be entitled to receive from the Secretary of Health and Human Services, for each of the fiscal years 2006 through 2010, a grant to conduct programs of family life education, including education on family values, abstinence and contraception for the prevention of teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS, as well as to provide condoms and other contraceptive devices to all students from grades 9 through 12 who choose to accept them.

Two days for debate and remember, secondary amendments cannot be amended. See RoO for any doubts.
PMEmail PosterMSN
futureperfect
Posted: Dec 24 2006, 04:55 PM
Quote Post

MFoley: i makin u horny? Wilt01: yea my things hard

Group: Members
Member No.: 27

Mr Speaker,

I disagree with striking of "and other contraceptive devices" on the grounds that it does a great disservice to all of our children, especially those homosexual ones.

For example, what good would condoms serve for a lesbian couple? The availability of so-called "dental dams", on the other hand, would go a ways to encourage safe-sex for homosexual women.

Also, for those men who have difficulty wearing condoms for medical or mental reasons, why not give their female partners the chance to investigate sponges and diaphragms?

I yield.
PMEmail Poster
JALU3
Posted: Dec 24 2006, 08:54 PM
Quote Post

The Original NGS Moderate-Conservative Filipino

Member No.: 929

Mr Speaker,

I would like to remind the honorable gentlemen from Maine that in no where in the amendment being offered by Mr. Evan's is there a definition of what "and other contraceptive devices". Therefore it can mean everything from dental dams, to IUDs, to Diaphrams. Some of these "and other contraceptive devices" require an appointment and examination, as well as a thorough explination of possible side effects, by a medical professional. Therefore, to include this language without language that specifies that this legislation does not create a way to avoid being assisted by a medical professional may create unnecessary risk to those who choose to become sexually active. Rather, it only states that it will provide "other contraceptive devices".

I am not opposed to teaching our younger members of our society who are reaching sexual maturaty of the options available to them, if they decide to become sexually active. What I do oppose is the wholesale, and unwise, distribution of "other contraceptive devices", without proper medical oversight which is currently required to recieve them.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
JALU3
Posted: Dec 24 2006, 08:55 PM
Quote Post

Mr Speaker,

I would like to remind the honorable gentlemen from Maine that in no where in the amendment being offered by Mr. Evan's is there a definition of what "and other contraceptive devices". Therefore it can mean everything from dental dams, to IUDs, to Diaphrams. Some of these "and other contraceptive devices" require an appointment and examination, as well as a thorough explination of possible side effects, by a medical professional. Therefore, to include this language without language that specifies that this legislation does not create a way to avoid being assisted by a medical professional may create unnecessary risk to those who choose to become sexually active. Rather, it only states that it will provide "other contraceptive devices".

I am not opposed to teaching our younger members of our society who are reaching sexual maturaty of the options available to them, if they decide to become sexually active. What I do oppose is the wholesale, and unwise, distribution of "other contraceptive devices", without proper medical oversight which is currently required to recieve them.

I yield.
JALU3
Posted: Dec 24 2006, 08:57 PM
Quote Post

Mr. Speaker,

Please Excuse my double posting.

I yield.
OceanTony
Posted: Jan 2 2007, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

Member No.: 1502

Mr Speaker

I think every available contraception in existence needs to be handed out in schools because kids WILL have sex and I would even propose the distribution of sex toys and other devices to lure students towards less threatening penetrations and to teach students lifesaving skills such as how to sneak a condom on a potentially unwilling mate without using their hands. Student need Life skills on the Sexual battleground

I Yield

This post has been edited by OceanTony on Jan 2 2007, 06:40 PM
PMEmail Poster
JALU3
Posted: Jan 5 2007, 01:30 AM
Quote Post

Mr Speaker,

I would like to remind my colleuges that it is not a predetermined event that minors who are reaching sexual maturaty will have sex. I do not argue that it is an option, but it is not an inevitable outcome, rather it's a personal choice. Furthermore, I would like to state that in most states, that sex by minors, even with other minors, would constitute statutory rape.

Although it is within the federal government's interest to make sure that sexually transmitted diseases do not become an epidemic of national public health proportions, it is also not our place to teach that sexual activity by those who are not emotionally and mentally mature enough to deal with the consequences is a valid and socially accepteble activity. Thus, it makes sense within the stated goals of this legislation to limit contreceptives to condoms only, and not to expand it to other contreceptives that would not inhibit sexually transmitted diseases, and erotic accessories as the honorable gentlemen from New York is suggesting is done.

I yield.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | House Floor | Next Newest »

Topic Options Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.1255 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]