Powered by Invision Power Board

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> DEBATE: Clean Coal Power Initiative Act, thru 12/23
2sense
Posted: December 05, 2006 01:00 pm
Quote Post

Progressive Populist

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Members of the House of Representatives may now debate the following question through Saturday, December 23rd.
Deputy Speaker Walsh shall preside.

Shall the House agree to the following bill?

*Text of bill and time for debate edited.

Mr. JAMES (for himself, Mr. BUCKLEY, Mr. ADAMS and Mr. BARNETT) introduces the following bill to be submitted to the Committee on Agriculture, Energy and the Environment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To establish a clean coal power initiative, and for other purposes.

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Clean Coal Power Initiative Act of 2006'.

SEC. 2. CLEAN COAL POWER INITIATIVE.

(a) In General-

(1) ESTABLISHMENT- The Secretary of Energy (referred to in this Act as the `Secretary') shall establish a clean coal power initiative under which the Secretary shall provide assistance under this Act for projects described in paragraph (2).

(2) PROJECTS- To be eligible to receive assistance under this Act, a project shall advance efficiency, reliability, environmental performance, and cost competitiveness significantly more than the level of technologies that are in commercial service or have been demonstrated on a scale that the Secretary determines is sufficient to demonstrate that commercial service is viable, as determined by the Secretary.

(b) Technical Criteria-

(1) GASIFICATION PROJECTS-

(A) ALLOCATION OF FUNDS- In allocating the funds made available under section 5(a), the Secretary shall ensure that at least 60 percent of the funds are used to fund projects using coal -based gasification technologies, including--

(i) gasification combined cycle;

(ii) gasification fuel cells;

(iii) gasification coproduction; and

(iv) hybrid gasification or combustion.

(B) TECHNICAL MILESTONES-

(i) PERIODIC DETERMINATION-

(I) IN GENERAL- The Secretary shall periodically establish technical milestones specifying the emission and thermal efficiency levels that coal gasification projects under this Act shall be designed, and reasonably expected, to achieve.

(II) RESTRICTIVE MILESTONES- The technical milestones shall become more restrictive during the period of the clean coal power initiative.

(ii) 2021 GOALS- The Secretary shall establish the periodic milestones so as to achieve by the year 2021 coal gasification projects able--

(I) to remove at least 99 percent of the sulfur compounds;

(II) to emit not more than .05 lbs of NOx per million Btu;

(III) to achieve at least 90 percent reductions in mercury emissions; and

(IV) to achieve a thermal efficiency of at least--
(aa) 50 percent for coal of more than 9,000 Btu;

(bb) 48 percent for coal of 7,000 to 9,000 Btu; and

(cc) 46 percent for coal of less than 7,000 Btu.

(2) OTHER PROJECTS-

(A) ALLOCATION OF FUNDS- The Secretary shall ensure that not more than 40 percent of the funds made available under section 5(a) are used to fund projects other than those described in paragraph (1)(A).

(B) TECHNICAL MILESTONES-

(i) PERIODIC DETERMINATION-

(I) IN GENERAL- The Secretary shall periodically establish technical milestones specifying the emission and thermal efficiency levels that projects other than those described in paragraph (1)(A) shall be designed, and reasonably expected, to achieve.

(II) RESTRICTIVE MILESTONES- The technical milestones shall become more restrictive during the period of the clean coal power initiative.

(ii) 2015 GOALS- The Secretary shall establish the periodic milestones so as to achieve by the year 2015 projects able--

(I) to remove at least 97 percent of sulfur dioxide;

(II) to emit not more than .08 lbs of NOx per million Btu;

(III) to achieve at least 70 percent reductions in mercury emissions; and

(IV) to achieve a thermal efficiency of at least--
(aa) 43 percent for coal of more than 9,000 Btu;

(bb) 41 percent for coal of 7,000 to 9,000 Btu; and

(cc) 39 percent for coal of less than 7,000 Btu.

(3) CONSULTATION- Before establishing the technical milestones under paragraphs (1)(B)(i)(I) and (2)(B)(i)(I), the Secretary shall consult with--

(A) the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency; and

(B) interested persons, including--

(i) coal producers;

(ii) industries using coal ;

(iii) organizations that promote coal or advanced coal technologies;

(iv) environmental organizations; and

(v) organizations representing workers.

(4) EXISTING UNITS- In the case of projects at units in existence on the date of enactment of this Act, in lieu of the thermal efficiency requirements described in paragraphs (1)(B)(ii) and (2)(B)(ii), the milestones shall be designed to achieve an overall thermal design efficiency improvement, compared to the efficiency of the unit as operated, of not less than--

(A) 7 percentage points for coal of more than 9,000 Btu;

(B) 6 percentage points for coal of 7,000 to 9,000 Btu; or

� 4 percentage points for coal of less than 7,000 Btu.

(5) PROJECT SELECTION-

(A) IN GENERAL- In evaluating project proposals, the Secretary shall select those projects that are expected to demonstrate progress toward achieving the milestones described in paragraphs (1)(B)(i) and (2)(B)(i).

(B) SITE ELEVATION AND RANK OF COAL - In evaluating project proposals to achieve the milestones described in paragraphs (1)(B)(i), (2)(B)(i), and (4) and in determining progress toward achieving the milestones described in paragraphs (1)(B)(ii), (2)(B)(ii), and (4), the Secretary shall consider and make adjustments for the Btu value of various coals and the elevation of the site at which a project is proposed to be constructed.

� EVALUATION- The Secretary shall base project selection on an evaluation of whether the construction and operation of the proposed project will progress toward achieving the milestones described in paragraphs (1)(B)(ii) and (2)(B)(ii) through subsequent replications of the technology.

(6) PERMITTED USES-

(A) IN GENERAL- In carrying out this Act, the Secretary shall give high priority to projects that include, as part of the project--

(i) the reduction of the demand for natural gas if deployed; or

(ii) the separation or capture of carbon dioxide.

(B) THERMAL EFFICIENCY LIMITATION- For purposes of subparagraph (A)(ii), the thermal efficiency goals of paragraphs (1), (2), and (4) shall not apply to projects that separate and capture at least 50 percent of the potential emissions of carbon dioxide by a facility.

� Financial Criteria- The Secretary shall not provide financial assistance under this Act for a project unless the recipient documents to the satisfaction of the Secretary that--

(1) the recipient is financially viable without the receipt of additional Federal assistance;

(2) the recipient will provide sufficient information to the Secretary to enable the Secretary to ensure that the funds are spent efficiently and effectively; and

(3) a market exists for the technology being demonstrated or applied, as evidenced by statements of interest in writing from potential purchasers of the technology.

(d) Financial Assistance- The Secretary shall provide assistance to projects that, as determined by the Secretary--

(1) meet the requirements of subsections (a), (b), and �; and

(2) are likely--

(A) to achieve overall cost reductions in the use of coal to generate useful forms of energy; and

(B) to improve the competitiveness of coal among various forms of energy in order to maintain a diversity of fuel choices in the United States to meet electricity generation or chemical feedstock requirements.

(e) Federal Share- The Federal share of the cost of a coal or related technology project carried out using funds made available under this Act shall not exceed 50 percent, as determined by the Secretary.

(f) Applicability- No technology, or level of emission reduction, solely by reason of the use of the technology, or the achievement of the emission reduction, by 1 or more facilities receiving assistance under this Act, shall be considered to be--

(1) adequately demonstrated for purposes of section 111 of the Clean Air Act (42 U.S. C. 7411);

(2) achievable for purposes of section 169 of that Act (42 U.S. C. 7479); or

(3) achievable in practice for purposes of section 171 of that Act (42 U.S. C. 7501).

(g) Report- Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, and once every 2 years thereafter through 2013, the Secretary, in consultation with other appropriate Federal agencies, shall submit to Congress a report describing--

(1)(A) the technical milestones described in this section; and

(B) how those milestones ensure progress toward meeting the requirements of paragraphs (1)(B)(ii) and (2)(B)(ii) of subsection (b);

(2) how the technologies being demonstrated under the clean coal power initiative demonstrate methods and equipment that can be used in broader commercial applications in addition to electric power generation; and

(3) the status of projects that receive assistance under this Act.

(h) Consideration of Applications- Not later than 90 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall issue rules providing that any application for funding for a project under this section shall be approved or rejected not later than 180 days after the date on which the application was submitted, unless otherwise agreed to by the applicant.

SEC. 3. CLEAN COAL CENTERS OF EXCELLENCE.

(a) In General- The Secretary shall award competitive, merit-based grants to institutions of higher education (as defined in section 102 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1002)) for the establishment of centers of excellence for energy systems of the future, including clean coal technology.

(b) Basis for Grants- The Secretary shall award grants under this section to such institutions of higher education that show the greatest potential for advancing new clean coal technologies.

SEC. 4. RESEARCH PROGRAMS.

(a) Objectives- The Secretary shall conduct a program of technology research, development, demonstration, and commercial application for coal and power systems, including programs to facilitate production and generation of coal -based power through--

(1) innovations for existing plants;

(2) integrated gasification combined cycle;

(3) advanced combustion systems;

(4) turbines for synthesis gas derived from coal ;

(5) carbon capture and sequestration research and development;

(6) coal -derived transportation fuels and chemicals;

(7) solid fuels and feedstocks;

(8) advanced coal -related research;

(9) advanced separation technologies; and

(10) a joint project for permeability enhancement in coals for natural gas production and carbon dioxide sequestration.

(b) Program-

(1) IN GENERAL- The Secretary shall establish a program of research and development to develop cost effective carbon dioxide capture technologies that could be--

(A) applicable to the existing fleet of coal fired units; or

(B) used in new coal combustion systems.

(2) OBJECTIVES- The program objectives shall be--

(A) to develop add-on carbon dioxide capture technologies, including adsorption and absorption techniques and chemical processes, to remove the carbon dioxide from flue gas, producing concentrated streams of carbon dioxide potentially amenable to sequestration;

(B) to develop technologies for the existing fleet of coal units that would directly produce concentrated streams of carbon dioxide potentially amenable to sequestration; and

� to increase the efficiency of the overall combustion system to reduce the quantity of carbon dioxide emissions released from the system per megawatt generated.

(3) CARBON SEQUESTRATION- In conjunction with the program under paragraph (1), the Secretary shall continue to pursue a robust carbon sequestration program in conjunction with the private sector, through regional carbon sequestration partnerships.

� Cost and Performance Goals-

(1) IN GENERAL- In carrying out programs under subsections (a) and (b), in each of fiscal years 2008 and 2016 and in each year following fiscal year 2021, the Secretary shall identify cost and performance goals for coal -based technologies that would permit the continued cost-competitive use of coal for electricity generation, as chemical feedstocks, and as transportation fuel.

(2) ESTABLISHING GOALS- In identifying cost and performance goals under paragraph (1), the Secretary shall--

(A) consider activities and studies undertaken as of the date of enactment of this Act by industry in cooperation with the Department of Energy in support of the goals;

(B) consult with interested persons, including--

(i) coal producers;

(ii) industries using coal ;

(iii) organizations that promote coal and advanced coal technologies;

(iv) environmental organizations; and

(v) organizations representing workers;

� not later than 120 days after the date of enactment of this Act, publish in the Federal Register proposed draft cost and performance goals for public comment; and

(D) not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act and every 4 years thereafter, submit to Congress a report that--

(i) describes final cost and performance goals for technologies described in paragraph (1);

(ii) includes a list of technical milestones; and

(iii) explains how programs authorized in subsection (a) will not duplicate activities carried out under sections 2 and 3.

SEC. 5. AUTHORIZATIONS OF APPROPRIATIONS.

(a) Clean Coal Power Initiative-

(1) IN GENERAL- There is authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary to carry out sections 2 and 3 $200,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2006 through 2013, to remain available until expended.

(2) REPORT- Not later than March 31, 2007, the Secretary shall submit to Congress a report that includes a 10-year plan that includes--

(A) a detailed assessment of whether the aggregate assistance levels provided under paragraph (1) are the appropriate assistance levels for the clean coal power initiative;

(B) a detailed description of how proposals for assistance under the clean coal power initiative will be solicited and evaluated, including a list of all activities expected to be undertaken;

� a detailed list of technical milestones for each coal and related technology that will be pursued; and

(D) a detailed description of how the clean coal initiative will avoid problems enumerated in Government Accountability Office reports on the Clean Coal Technology Program of the Department of Energy, including problems that have resulted in unspent funds and projects that failed either financially or scientifically.

(b) Research Programs-

(1) IN GENERAL- There are authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary to carry out clean coal technology research, development, demonstration, and commercial application activities, including activities described in section 4(a)--

(A) $259,000,000 for fiscal year 2007;

(B) $272,000,000 for fiscal year 2008;

� $285,000,000 for fiscal year 2009;

(D) $298,000,000 for fiscal year 2010; and

(E) $308,000,000 for fiscal year 2011.

(2) PROGRAM- There is authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary to carry out section 4(b) $40,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2007 through 2015, to remain available until expended.

(3) No public funds shall be appropriated to the Secretary of Energy to be spent on exploring within, researching, inspecting within, lobbying for, or for the actual use of converting any portion of the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge for oil, natural gas, or any other form of energy production. The Secretary is prohibited from entering into contracts of any kind for the same.

This post has been edited by 2sense on December 21, 2006 01:12 am
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Kevin McGarry
Posted: December 05, 2006 02:56 pm
Quote Post

Hatta al-nasr, hatta al-nasr, hatta al-Quds

Member No.: 678

Mr. Speaker,

This bill is like a bad rash that just won't go away. "Clean" coal is the mother of all oxymorons. Research into removing the carbon emissions from burning coal so far has had no results. My God, we've already spend well over $4 Billion on researching ways to reduce the greenhouse gas released by burning coal and haven't got anywhere yet. Enough is enough.

This is a slap in the face for the many firms cropping up around the country that are actually producing innovative and sustainable energy solutions right now, and I urge my colleagues in the most earnest terms possible to reject this ridiculous ruse before us today.

I yield back the balance of my time.
PM
Big Al
Posted: December 05, 2006 06:43 pm
Quote Post

Republican Al Gore

Member No.: 1446

nvm

This post has been edited by Big Al on December 05, 2006 06:45 pm
PMAOL
Jack McCarthy
Posted: December 05, 2006 08:36 pm
Quote Post

Ask Vertex about my lack of tremendous quality

Member No.: 266

Mr. Speaker-

I could not agree more with the gentleman from California. "Clean coal" is a myth; there is no such thing. There is such a thing as "cleaner coal," but considering how harmful coal emissions are to begin with, "cleaner coal" really isn't much of an improvement.

Instead of wasting time and money on "cleaner coal," why don't we instead try to find real alternative energy sources that will provide our nation with a cheap, secure and environmentally sound energy source.

I cannot and will not support this legislation.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Presbyman
Posted: December 08, 2006 01:54 pm
Quote Post

You Can Call Me Sparks

Member No.: 66

Mr. Speaker,

I rise in support of this legislation. While I do agree with my distinguished colleagues when they say we need to support other forms of energy as well, I say we cannot turn our backs on coal. America has a bountiful and inexpensive supply of this natural resource. It can be used to meet some of our energy needs, and it can be used in a more environmentally friendly fashion than in the past. Coal represents one way we can lessen our dependence on foreign oil, and that's a pretty good reason to support this bill, I reckon.

Thank you, I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
OceanTony
Posted: December 08, 2006 03:22 pm
Quote Post

Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

Member No.: 1502

Mr Speaker

I Object to this FILTH

I Yield
PMEmail Poster
Kevin McGarry
Posted: December 09, 2006 02:19 pm
Quote Post

Hatta al-nasr, hatta al-nasr, hatta al-Quds

Member No.: 678

Mr. Speaker,

I move to amend Section 5(b) with the following:

(3) No public funds shall be appropriated to the Secretary of Energy to be spent on exploring within, researching, inspecting within, lobbying for, or for the actual use of converting any portion of the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge for oil, natural gas, or any other form of energy production. The Secretary is prohibited from entering into contracts of any kind for the same.

I yield.
PM
Jack McCarthy
Posted: December 09, 2006 02:22 pm
Quote Post

Ask Vertex about my lack of tremendous quality

Member No.: 266

Mr. Speaker-

I second the amendment.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Daniel Perez
Posted: December 09, 2006 10:00 pm
Quote Post

Yo momma.

Member No.: 1468

Mr. Speaker,

Although the intentions of this bill are good, I am cautious to support it. Yes, we need to lessen our dependance on oil, but we already passed a bill through the house, sponsored by Mace Windu, that would fund all these alternative energy sources and enforce the CAFE standars. At this point, I don't think I can be supporting this bill or the amendment that was brough foward by the gentleman from California.

I yield the floor.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
David J Verjano
Posted: December 09, 2006 11:18 pm
Quote Post

I am Pro-American

Member No.: 1566

Mr. Speaker,

I agree with the gentleman from Florida. I don't see that this bill will be productive if it were passed. I am for seeking alternate energy sources as well. At this time, I do not see myself voting for this bill.

I yield.
PMEmail Poster
OceanTony
Posted: December 10, 2006 03:28 am
Quote Post

Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

Member No.: 1502

Mr Speaker

The Gentleman from Florida raises a valid issue-this Bill is moot

I Yield
PMEmail Poster
Big Al
Posted: December 10, 2006 03:37 pm
Quote Post

Republican Al Gore

Member No.: 1446

The amendment offered by the gentleman from California will now be heard.
PMAOL
2sense
Posted: December 21, 2006 01:07 am
Quote Post

Progressive Populist

By a vote of 19 yeas and 18 nays with 1 abstention and 1 disqualification, the amendment is agreed to. Debate resumes on the amended bill through Saturday, the 23rd.
2sense
Posted: December 21, 2006 01:13 am
Quote Post

Progressive Populist

The text of the bill has been edited.
Deputy Speaker Walsh shall continue to preside.
JALU3
Posted: December 21, 2006 02:17 pm
Quote Post

The Original NGS Moderate-Conservative Filipino

Member No.: 929

Mr. Speaker,

With the passage of thie amendment, I cannot, in my sound mind, support the passage of this legislation. Exploration for natural petrol resources in Northern Alaska, all be it an important policy to be discussed by sound unbiased minds, is not the exploration of coal within the same region. Although the amendment was ruled germane, that does not mean that I do not have my reservations regarding that ruling.
Therefore, I urge my fellow servants to the american people, that we should not pass a bill that would limit our ability to seek energy security within our lifetime.

I yield.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | House Floor | Next Newest »

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.4039 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]