Powered by Invision Power Board

Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> Debate: HR 1.383 The Jackson-Galt Abortion Act, Till 12/17
Crysnia
Posted: Dec 11 2004, 02:27 AM
Quote Post

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Group: Members
Member No.: 211

Link to Hearing

Authors: JJ Jackson, Juan Galt
Co-Sponsors: Schuyler Hatcher�, Edwin Fernandez�, Joe Cienciolo�, Matt Boland�, John Heortman�, Vernon MacGyver(D), Chris Phirman�, Jordan Smith�, Robert Schmidt�, Alex Lindsay�, Jonathan Cid(L), Amara Mateo(D), James Conway(D), Kurt Garwood�,Max Cherry(D) Louis Laverone�, Marcus Milam�, Eric Smith�, James Martin�, Jim Walker(D), Tom Sullivan�

A BILL

To limit 3rd trimester abortion to cases where the risk of the mother's life or permanent well-being is threatened, or where one of the several states has legalized it.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the 'Jackson-Galt Abortion Act.'

SECTION 2. FINDINGS.

Whereas the vast majority of women realize that they are pregnant before the third-trimester,

Whereas a fetus in the third trimester can often live on its own outside the womb if it is safely removed,

Whereas many people think that abortion in the third trimester is immoral,

Whereas many people do not like that abortions are performed in the third trimester for various reasons,

Whereas the vast majority of women have had ample time to think about a decision of whether or not to abort a developing fetus,

Whereas many people feel that third-trimester abortions are less desirable than earlier abortions.

SECTION 3. LAWS TO BE ENACTED.

(a) IN GENERAL- Title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after chapter 73 the following:

`CHAPTER 74--THIRD-TRIMESTER ABORTIONS

`Sec.

`1531. Third-trimester abortions prohibited except when the mother is in danger of death or permanent debilitating injury.

`Sec. 1531. Third-Trimester abortions prohibited.

`(a) Any physician who, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, knowingly performs a third-trimester abortion and thereby kills a human fetus shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both. This subsection does not apply to a third-trimester abortion that is necessary to save the life of a mother whose life is endangered by a physical disorder, physical illness, or physical injury, including a life-endangering physical condition caused by or arising from the pregnancy itself. This subsection does not apply to an abortion that is necessary to save the mother from permanently debilitating injury so as to handicap her. This subsection takes effect 1 day after the enactment.
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
TrevorWebb
Posted: Dec 11 2004, 03:09 AM
Quote Post

Blew up da owl

Member No.: 359

Madame Chair,

I support this measure as a reasonable way to limit Abortion in this country. The late term abortions are horribly barbaric, even by comparison, and I feel they should be limited.

I yield.
PMEmail Poster
Paisano
Posted: Dec 13 2004, 11:08 AM
Quote Post

I would rather fight with my hands than my tongue.

Member No.: 120

Madame Chair,

The proponents of this bill seek to limit late term abortions. And most would readily call themselves pro-life. But it's interesting that whenever people try to limit abortion they only look at the practice itself.

What about comprehensive sex education in the schools? Give people the knowledge to know about condoms and other contraceptives. Teach them how to prevent unwanted pregnancies. So as not to get into an argument about the effectiveness of condoms, I will repeat that I say why not try comprehensive sex education. Not just condoms, but abstinence as well.

I oppose this bill and urge members of the committee to defeat it. I will not go back to the day when abortions were dirty and illegal and conducted in the back alleys with a coat hanger.

I yield
PMEmail Poster
HenryBrooks
Posted: Dec 13 2004, 10:55 PM
Quote Post

Kicking God out of the Classroom since '92

Member No.: 115

Madame Chair,

I concur with the gentleman from Missouri. This bill includes an exception regarding the mother's health, a necessity for myself to consider this bill.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Paisano
Posted: Dec 14 2004, 10:03 PM
Quote Post

I would rather fight with my hands than my tongue.

Member No.: 120

Madame Chair,

This bill may contain an exemption for the health and life of the mother, but what about rape or incest? I see nothing in this bill regarding that?

I yield
PMEmail Poster
HenryBrooks
Posted: Dec 14 2004, 10:05 PM
Quote Post

Kicking God out of the Classroom since '92

Member No.: 115

Madame Chair,

I move to amend the bill as follows:

Strike the following:

`Sec.

`1531. Third-trimester abortions prohibited except when the mother is in danger of death or permanent debilitating injury.

Replace with the following

`Sec.

`1531. Third-trimester abortions prohibited except when the mother is in danger of death or permanent debilitating injury or in the case of rape or incest.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Kenneth Hollins
Posted: Dec 15 2004, 03:08 AM
Quote Post

Officeholder

Member No.: 197

Is this bill appropriate for the Energy and Commerce Committee?
PMEmail PosterAOL
John Elliot
Posted: Dec 15 2004, 06:14 PM
Quote Post

Officeholder

Member No.: 373

Ms. Chair,

I address the Congressman from my state of Minnesota;

If he had been present at the hearing, he would already know the answer to that question and wouldn't need to ask it.

Furthur more, I motion to table this bill indefinatly.
PMEmail Poster
tompea
Posted: Dec 15 2004, 07:12 PM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Member No.: 317

Madame Chair,
I second the motion to table.

I yield.
PMEmail Poster
Crysnia
Posted: Dec 15 2004, 09:08 PM
Quote Post

Honorable Committee Members,

The motion to table has been noted and seconded. I motion for Unanimous Consent of the motion. Twenty-four hours will be allotted for objections.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
tompea
Posted: Dec 16 2004, 10:03 PM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Member No.: 317

Madame Chair,
I second the motion for UC.

I yield.
PMEmail Poster
Crysnia
Posted: Dec 16 2004, 10:12 PM
Quote Post

The motion to permanently table this bill has been passed by UC. This bill will be tabled indefinitely.
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0425 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

Provided by Forum For Free - setup your very own free message board now!