Powered by Invision Power Board

Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> Debate: HR 1.421 Withdraw NTR Treatment From China, Till 12/12
Crysnia
Posted: Dec 7 2004, 10:33 PM
Quote Post

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Group: Members
Member No.: 211

Link to Hearing

Mr. Adams, for himself, Mr. Palafox, Mr. Martin, Mr. Garwood, Mr. Cole, Mr. Kiefer, and Mr. Frappier, presents

A BILL
To withdraw normal trade relations treatment from the products of the People's Republic of China.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. WITHDRAWAL OF NORMAL TRADE RELATIONS TREATMENT FROM THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA .

Notwithstanding the provisions of title I of Public Law 106-286, title IV of the Trade Act of 1974, or any other provision of law, effective on the date of the enactment of this Act, normal trade relations treatment shall not apply to the products of the People's Republic of China , and normal trade relations treatment may not thereafter be extended to the products of that country.

This post has been edited by Crysnia on Dec 7 2004, 10:39 PM
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
tompea
Posted: Dec 8 2004, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Member No.: 317

Madame Chair,
We heard from a number of sponsors on this in the hearing. Bt and large their support of the bill derived from moral considerations.

I would be predisposed to supporting this bill, but will wait to hear from my colleagues as to the commercial implications.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Carat
Posted: Dec 10 2004, 12:27 AM
Quote Post

Pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living

Member No.: 98

Madame Chair,

Maybe my thoughts on the issue will foster some debate among the committee. Just thinking out loud right now.

I think linking human rights to trade relations and other economic and monetary benefits is probably the right solution. Having said that, the topic of Cuba was broached in the hearing. Personally, I favor restoring some sort of trade relation with Cuba. I don't think the embargo has worked with respect to Cuba and that change might come faster in an open market, as well as a free press.

I've also heard many talk about China and its Communism. Some have said that it is communist in name only, so to speak. That China is struggling with its Communism, especially when it comes to Hong Kong. In several reports from NPR, Hong Kong is quickly becoming a rallying point for those concerned with democracy.

Right now, I'm inclined to favor this withdraw of normal trade relations. In this same series and some other reports from NPR, China has continually cracked down on numerous freedoms in Hong Kong, such as freedom of the press. In addition, China ruled out direct election in Hong Kong. Maybe a withdrawl of NTR will send a message to China.

We worry because of China's emerging status as an industrialized power, but what about India. It rivals China in this respect. We could try fostering a friendlier relationship with India. This of course would have to start by first becoming involved in their dispute with Pakistan and helping find a peaceful solution.

These thoughts might be slightly garbled, but like I said, I was just thinking out loud.

I yield
PMEmail Poster
TrevorWebb
Posted: Dec 10 2004, 12:32 AM
Quote Post

Blew up da owl

Member No.: 359

Madame Chair,

I'm split on this bill.

For one, I am not a fan of the Communist government in Beijing.

But, I am reluctant to start closing the doors on them as well.

The last thing America needs are moves which could start a Cold War with China.

What we should do is ensure that China is nudged towards Freedom.

And in regards to the Gentlelady from Texas and Cuba, we should reevaluate our Cuba policy and also make preparations for when Fidel Castro dies.

I yield
PMEmail Poster
tompea
Posted: Dec 10 2004, 12:55 AM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Madame Chair,
It seems as though everyone here is on the same page, that we sense the moral issues at hand, as well as the unexpected rapidity with which China is becoming a modern market.

The gentlelady from Texas makes an excellent point with respect to India, and in reminding us of the issues in Hong Kong.

I remain as Mr Webb said rather split, but I am leaning towards vote of aye on this issue. I am unable to overcome the linkage with human rights and commercial trade, and believe that this would be the most honorable path for our nation.

I yield.
Johnny 99
Posted: Dec 10 2004, 12:14 PM
Quote Post

Officeholder

Member No.: 17

Madame Chair,

If I might quote from the Bible, or paraphrase perhaps, "What profit doth a man gain if he loseth his soul?"

How can we say we stand for freedom and human rights when we are so willing to sell out our principles to buy something as transient as cheap pair of jeans? Any decent economist will tell you that our country needs to move from consumption to savings and from importing goods to exporting them to improve our economy. This is a big step in that direction.

I yield.
PMEmail Poster
Rapierman
Posted: Dec 10 2004, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

Minority Chief of Staff and Longhorn Fan

Member No.: 20

Madame Chairman,

Moral issues should always be a key component wherever we go. We would be hypocrites if we did not uphold these values for all the world to see and demand that they be observed and respected no matter what part of the globe a person is located. This is our moral high ground at its best, and that is why I support this bill.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
tompea
Posted: Dec 10 2004, 11:06 PM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Madame Chair,
To my colleague Mr Kiefer:

This is our moral high ground at its best,

Well put.

I yield.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0397 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

Provided by Forum For Free - setup your very own free message board now!