Powered by Invision Power Board

Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> Debate: Amendment to Freedom in Agriculture Act, Till Sunday, December 12.
Crysnia
Posted: Dec 7 2004, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Group: Members
Member No.: 211

An amendment to HR 1.349 Freedom in Agriculture Act has been proposed by Mr. Plawinski and is as follows:

BILL
To support free market principles in agriculture by eliminating Tax breaks and subsidies granted to Agricultural companies.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Freedom in Agriculture Act .

SEC. 2. ACTION

1.No money may be awarded to agricultural companies or corporations for the growth, non-growth, or productivity of a crop

2. No money shall be awarded to agricultural companies or corporations for the purchase of equipment used by the company

3. No money may be loaned or otherwise given to any agricultural company for the production of produce sold in the private sector.

SEC. 3 ENACTING

1. This bill shall take effect immediately after passage

2. All previously existing contracts and arrangements involving the above money transactions are declared void, and payments shall cease.

The highlighted portion of Section 3.1 shall instead read:

1. This bill shall take effect 365 days after passage.

Debate on this amendment shall end on Sunday, December 12.

PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
Dave Anderson
Posted: Dec 7 2004, 02:43 PM
Quote Post

Titleholder

Member No.: 384

Madam Chairwoman,

This amendment is little more than window dressing on a bill which refuses to address some key areas. I urge the members of this committee to vote no. This legislation has too many loopholes and we are handing the Judiciary a field day if we pass this bill.

Rep. Dave Anderson
Republican
11th District
New Jersey
PMEmail Poster
tompea
Posted: Dec 7 2004, 05:22 PM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Member No.: 317

Madame Chair,
I do not fully understand the remarks of my colleague. The bill if anything, by removing federal funds from the marketplace will ease the matter in a judicial sense, for no longer wil anti trust issues be a concern.

This is truly amove to free markets, yet gives the agribusiness sector a time frame within which to plan.

If the gentleman's concerns arise from other areas, I remain unclear as to where.

I yield.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
HenryBrooks
Posted: Dec 7 2004, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

Kicking God out of the Classroom since '92

Member No.: 115

Madame Chair,

I concur with the gentleman from New Jersey.

The amendment makes sense, but the bill does not.

The wording of this bill could, and more than likely would, be intrepreted in the legal environment as making any kind of payments to farming illegal, whether they be for research purposes or drought relief or any other type of payment.

Congress should know better than write lazy legislation. The United States deserves better.

If Congress wishes to eliminate farm subsidies, the best way to do so is to not include the subsidies in the federal budget, not by passing a haphazard law that was written in haste.

I yield.

This post has been edited by HenryBrooks on Dec 7 2004, 06:36 PM
PMEmail PosterAOL
tompea
Posted: Dec 8 2004, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Member No.: 317

Madame Chair,
I stand aside to the expertise of the gentleman from Nebraska on these issues as to the big picture.

I was assuming that the bill would pass this committee, and that the amendment would at least provide for transition time in agribusiness.

I have no vested interest other than to assure that we take the best action that we can here to avoid the situation on subsidies described by Mr Brooks in the hearing, which was decidedly weighted to only certain crops, and favors larger businesses.

I shall follow the lead of the learned gentleman on this bill's fate.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0783 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

Provided by Forum For Free - setup your very own free message board now!