Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> Debate: Amendment ANWRA, Until 14 December
BTroutman
Posted: Dec 2 2004, 06:26 PM
Quote Post

We dont Fobes or Martin or Troutman

Group: Members
Member No.: 190

The following has been proposed as an amendment has been seconded.

To Strike section 3

The removed section is in bold

Mr. MOND (IL) for himself and Mr. MavGyver introduces the following bill to be referred to the Committee on Energy and resources.

A Bill

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

Section 1. Short Title.
This bill may be cited as the �Mining Resource Assurance Act�.

Section 2. Findings
(a) The Mining Lease Act has allowed access to and production thereof of minerals and ores required by United States manufacturers and industries.
(b) The United States Iron and Steel Mills have faced substantial economic hardships over the last 50 years.
� Imports of steel and non-ferrous metals has increased over 100% more than exports over a period of 5 years.
(d) Mining leases and mining claims need government assurance that no increase in rental prices or subsequent voiding on mineral leases will occur without proper process and appeals.

Section 3. Repeal of Sec. 3143
Section 3143 of Chapter 51 of Title 16 is hereby repealed.

Section 4. Provisions for Amendment
Amendments to the Mineral Leasing Act (30 U.S.C. 181 et seq.) shall require a 2/3rds majority vote in order to pass.

Section 5. Enabling Clause.
All provisions shall become law immediately upon signing into law
PMEmail PosterAOL
TexasTortfeasor
Posted: Dec 2 2004, 06:31 PM
Quote Post

World's Best Boss

Member No.: 342

Mr. Speaker,

I moved to strike this section because it is outside of the scope of the rest of the bill.

Regardless of whether you are for or against drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve, we can have a clean debate about that another day.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOL
TrevorWebb
Posted: Dec 2 2004, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

Blew up da owl

Member No.: 359

Mr. Speaker,

I oppose this amendment for the fact that if it is passed, MRAA would become a meaningless bill.

I move to restore the original version of the bill and re-title the bill the "Mining Resource Assistance and ANWR Act"

I yield
PMEmail Poster
Pro-Union Republican
Posted: Dec 2 2004, 07:32 PM
Quote Post

Socially Conservative Third Wayer

Member No.: 196

Mr. Speaker,
I second Mr. Webb's amendment.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOL
joseph-pregler
Posted: Dec 2 2004, 07:38 PM
Quote Post

Representative

Member No.: 293

Mr. Chair

Does anyone have the text of the section 3143?

I yield
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
Rapierman
Posted: Dec 2 2004, 08:03 PM
Quote Post

Minority Chief of Staff and Longhorn Fan

Member No.: 20

Mr. Speaker,

I have that information:

QUOTE (16 USC 3143)
Production of oil and gas from the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is prohibited and no leasing or other development leading to production of oil and gas from the range shall be undertaken until authorized by an Act of Congress.

I would also like to ask the gentleman who objected to the amendment while he feels that the two should be tied together.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
TexasTortfeasor
Posted: Dec 2 2004, 08:55 PM
Quote Post

World's Best Boss

Mr. Speaker, I'd note two things.

First, it would not be meaningless if we made this amendment. The main thrust of the bill -- that any amendment to the Mining Rights law require a 2/3rds vote -- would still be intact.

Secondly, it is not in order to "restore the original bill and retitle it," as the gentleman from Missouri has proposed. The motion under discussion is a motion to amend the main motion.

We can either presume that the gentleman's motion is intended to amend the main motion, in which case this is NOT the place to make it; or, we can presume it is intended to amend the motion to amend in a way that simply negates the amendment, which is, I think, abusive and also not permitted under the rules of order, if I remember correctly.
PMEmail PosterAOL
TexasTortfeasor
Posted: Dec 2 2004, 08:57 PM
Quote Post

World's Best Boss

B. To Amend

A motion yields to all other subsidiary motions and to all privileged and incidental motions, except the motion to divide the question. It can be applied to all motions except those in the List of Motions that Cannot be Amended. It can be amended itself, but this "amendment of an amendment" (an amendment of the second degree) cannot be amended. An amendment of a pending question requires only a majority vote for its adoption, even if the question to be amended requires a two-thirds vote. An amendment must be germane to the subject to be amended -- that is, it must relate to it, as shown further on. An amendment is not in order which is not germane to the question to be amended; or merely makes the affirmative of the amended question equivalent to the negative of the original question; or is identical with a question previously decided by the assembly during that session; or changes one form of amendment to another form; or substitutes one form of motion for another form; or strikes out the word Resolved from a resolution; or strikes out or inserts words which would leave no rational proposition before the assembly; or is frivolous or absurd. An amendment of an amendment must be germane to -- that is, must relate to -- the subject of the amendment as well as the main motion. No independent new question can be introduced under cover of an amendment.
PMEmail PosterAOL
tompea
Posted: Dec 2 2004, 09:12 PM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Member No.: 317

Mr Speaker,
The most recent estimates of recoverable reserves in ANWR are, and have been since the region hit the media in roughly 2000 are paltry.

ANWR Recoverable Crude: 8 billion bbls.
US Annual Consumption: 4 billion bbls.

Colleagues should bear in mind that NOT EVERY last drop fo crude oil can even be converted into usable products. These numbers are even more absurd than the ones I quoted from memory earlier today on the house floor.

On this basis, I would be perplexed and appalled at any of my colleagues supporting ANWR drilling in the long term. I urge adoption of the amendment and the ultimate defeat of the remainder of the bill.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
BTroutman
Posted: Dec 2 2004, 10:59 PM
Quote Post

We dont Fobes or Martin or Troutman

Member No.: 190

Mr. Webb, I can honor your request to rename the bill. However, If this amendment passes I can not honor your second request to revert back to the original bill as stated.
PMEmail PosterAOL
weekendwarrior
Posted: Dec 11 2004, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Speaker (The Legalist)

Member No.: 147

The following second degree amendment has passed

To Rename the Mining Resources Assurance Act to the Mining Resource Assistance and ANWR Act"
PMEmail PosterAOL
tompea
Posted: Dec 11 2004, 01:24 PM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Mr SPT,
At least now with the renaming of this bill, its true intentions have been revealed a bit more. Regarding the amendment to strike Section 3, I rise in unmitigated support for 2 broad reasons.

First: The premise that ANWR contains any significant amounts of crude is decidedly false.

Second: The US refining industry completely lacks the ability to handle any added crude oil and produce finished products.

Therefore: Section 3 of this bill is completely without merit, and betrays our responsibility to base policy on fact.

In the hope that facts will illustrate this to my colleagues, I offer the following:

Some members would have us believe that we are indeed in a position to drill our way to energy independence. The cornerstone of this logic is the idea that we are blessed with added reserves of crude oil that are simply untapped, and that these reserves can be turned into finsihed products. The major area under consideration in recent years has been the Alaskan National Wildlife Refuge, (ANWR).

This position is incorrect for the 2 reasons cited above and explained below.

Recoverable Reserves in ANWR are Meaningless
Estimates of recoverable crude in ANWR vary, but the literature shows that 2 billion to 10.3 billion barrels are common numbers. Compare this against the 4 billion-barrel current annual demand of the United States, and the impact of ANWR on the total energy picture is obvious. The logic of this bill quickly unravels. The USGS, an agency of the federal government occupies the low end here. By any analysis, ANWR provides anywhere from 6 month, to 2.5 years of crude demand.

The US Refining Industry Lacks the Capacity to Handle ANWR Production
Between 1992 and the present, total domestic refining operations have operated at or near capacity. The numbers have varied somewhat, as a result of weather, refinery damage and other factors, but US refining utilization rates have averaged more than 95% of capacity since the year 2000. These kinds of rates represent theoretical full capacity. The industry simply lacks the equipment to produce finished products in any greater volumes than at present.

To put such an area into environmental peril, for such paltry returns, while disregarding the facts is irresponsible legislation. We owe the American people a more thorough analysis than slogans which sound like steps to energy policy.

I challenege my colleagues to rise above the rhetoric and the ideological divides of "right/left", or "environmentalist/capitalist" and to do the right thing by striking Section 3.

I yield.

Crysnia
Posted: Dec 11 2004, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Member No.: 211

Mr. Speaker,

Regarding Mr. Plawinski's statement:
First: The premise that ANWR contains any significant amounts of crude is decidedly false.
I humbly ask Mr. Plawinski where he is pulling his data from.

I yield.

This post has been edited by Crysnia on Dec 11 2004, 02:56 PM
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
tompea
Posted: Dec 11 2004, 03:06 PM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Mr SPT,
To respond to my colleague from LA.

I believe that the meaning of that statement is contained in the full text of my remarks. In summary however:

ANWR estimates I have found indicate 2 billion to 10.3 billion barrels. The USGS is at the low end. The high is from the World Resources Institute. Other sources for my white papers and my remarks here include the Council for Environmental Literacy, and the American Petroleum Institute, Platts' Oilgram and Price Report, and my own 17 years in the industry. (OOC, the last assetion is IRL).

With domestic consumption of 4 billion barrels annually, ANWR recoverable reserves are indeed paltry.

I yield.

This post has been edited by tompea on Dec 11 2004, 03:10 PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.2314 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

Provided by Forum For Free - setup your very own free message board now!