Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Debate: Party Convention Freedom Act, (HR 1.183)
Lord Vader
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 09:37 PM
Quote Post

Pax propter vim

Group: Members
Member No.: 217

Debate will last 3 days.

Sponsor: Rep. Leonard Hobbes (R-CA-41)

Co-sponsor: Rep. Marcus Miliam (R-TX-17), Rep. Tom Coniam (D-AZ-4), Rep. Richard Perry (D-WV-2), Rep. Dick Dexter (R-CA-21), Rep. Micheal Wilt (R-TN-5), Rep. Leonardo Stackhouse (D-IL-10), Rep. Caspian Forsyth (I-CA-32), Rep. Scott Matthews (I-ID-1), Rep. Christian Bullitt (R-TX-27), Rep. Josh Frappier (D-MA-6), Rep. Tyler Warren (D-CA-14), Rep. James Cross (R-MS-2), Rep. Max Cherry (D-NC-2), Rep. Vernon MacGyver (D-MI-5)

PARTY CONVENTION FREEDOM ACT

I. Finding of Fact

1) The United States Government, using taxpayer funds, specifically provides and pays for every aspect of the Democratic and Republican Presidential nominating conventions. The base grant for each party is four million dollars plus a cost-of-living adjustment.

2) Millions of Americans do not ascribe to the views of either the Democratic or Republican parties.

3) The United States government, thus, is expressing financing and endorsing the positions of two political parties that do not constitute the wishes of all of its citizens.

4) It is not the responsibility of the government to meddle in America's free and fair election process.

II. Authorization

1) Be it enacted, that the Federal Elections Commission no longer is given the authorization to finance any portion of any political party's Presidential nominating convention.

2) This legislation will go into effect upon its passage through Congress and the signature of the President of the United States.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Pro-Union Republican
Posted: Nov 30 2004, 12:33 AM
Quote Post

Socially Conservative Third Wayer

Member No.: 196

Mr. Chair,

This bill is only necessary and proper. We could use a trim on our budget and Party Conventions should be subsidized by the DNC and the RNC. George Soros and Halliburton can bankroll the party conventions, not the taxpayer.

I motion for Unanimous consent of this bill.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOL
bcarlson33
Posted: Nov 30 2004, 12:45 AM
Quote Post

Squeaky clean like a rubber duckie

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Mr. Chairman,

Reserving my right to object for the time being, can someone tell me through what fund does this money come? Is this part of the money allocated for the candidates' general election monies? To whom does the money go, and what makes this different than the general election monies that candidates get at the outset of the general election campaign?

I wish to hear from the sponsor(s) of the measure before I make up my mind. Have they been explicitly invited to appear here?

I yield.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Max Cherry
Posted: Dec 1 2004, 12:34 AM
Quote Post

I am made of hemp.

Member No.: 75

Mr. Chair,

First, as one of the co-sponsors of this legislation, in response to the gentleman from New Hampshire's question it is my understanding that money for Democratic and Republican convention is specifically provided by the Federal Elections Commission. It is not part of the money allocated for the candidates.

Second I echo the sentiments of my friend from Michigan and would also like to add that this kind of funding is immoral. To give special privilege to two certain parties over other '3rd-parties' is simply wrong and this is one of the many barriers we must destroy to allow '3rd-parties' to blossom in this country so we are not limited to a two-party system with two sole philosophies.

I yield.
PMEmail Poster
yuzhulsuspex
Posted: Dec 4 2004, 10:26 PM
Quote Post

Officeholder

Member No.: 351

Mr. Chair,

I am going to support this bill on good faith assuming that the reason third parties never seem to garner above about 5% of the popular vote nationwide (the anamoly elections of 1980, 1992, and 1996 excepted) is because the actions of the federal government pretty much make a two party system a self-perpetuating prophecy. I urge the rest of my colleagues to test this premise by first voting AYE
on this bill.

I yield,
PMEmail Poster
Lord Vader
Posted: Dec 5 2004, 02:09 AM
Quote Post

Pax propter vim

Bill passes by UC.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Lord Vader
Posted: Dec 5 2004, 02:18 PM
Quote Post

Pax propter vim

My error. Mr. Carlson objected and it has not passed committee by UC.
PMEmail PosterAOL
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0785 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

Provided by Forum For Free - setup your very own free message board now!