> Debate: Southern Border Restriction Act, Until 10 December
BTroutman
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 04:39 AM
Quote Post

We dont Fobes or Martin or Troutman

Group: Members
Member No.: 190

Debate will last 3 days.

Mr. Cherry (D-NC) submits, for himself, and Mr. Schmidt (R-CA), Mr. Thayer (R-VA), Mr. Troutman (F-CA), Mr. Harper (F-PA), Mr. Garwood (R-MI), Mr. Murphy (R-LA), Ms. Wood (R-LA), Mr. Wilder (D-TX), Mr. Wisniewski (D-WI), Mr. Smith (R-IN), Mr. Martin (R-PA), Mr. Laverone (R-CA), Mr. Montoya (D-TX), and Mr. Miller (P-UT)

A BILL

To prevent illegal crossing of the border between the United States and Mexico

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled.

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Southern Border Restriction Act.'

SECTION 2. FINDINGS.

1) The border between the US and Mexico is extremely and dangerously insecure.

2) Millions of illegal aliens cross the border from Mexico into the US every year.

3) There is a risk to national security in that terrorists could also be crossing the border or could potentially do so.

4) There is a risk to national security that terrorists could bring weapons, including biological, chemical and nuclear weapons and materials over the border into America.

5) Many of these millions of illegal aliens who are not terrorists may also present a risk to the American people as they make have criminal aspirations.

6) Thousands of tons of illegal drugs cross the border from Mexico to the US every year.

7) During trafficking and smuggling of illegal aliens over the border, many of them often die of dehydration and heatstroke from trying to make it across the border crammed in the back of vans and trucks. In one month alone last year 19 people out of 100 crammed into a tractor-trailer died of either dehydration or heatstroke.

8) This smuggling is accompanied by a huge increase in violent crimes, including murder, rape, robbery and kidnapping.

7) There is a huge lack of federal agents assigned to patrol borders. For example, this year, only 140 new federal agents were assigned to the U.S.-Mexico border in Arizona.

SECTION 3. PREVENTION OF ILLEGAL BORDER CROSSING.

1) Illegal crossing over the border between the US and Mexico is hereby condemned.

2) The number of federal agents correctly along the border in all border states is hereby tripled.

3) Patrols along the border in all states are hereby increased.

4) Possible holes, blind spots or other potential ways into the US which could be used to get over the border (i.e. drainage pipes and ditches, tunnels, etc.) will be identified and closed off or specifically guarded.

5) The backs of all trucks, vans, sport utility vehicles and other vehicles which could be potentially used for smuggling must be checked before crossing the order.

6) Federal Agents and other American authorities are encouraged to work with Mexican authorities and

7) The United States Congress encourages the Mexican government and their authorities to more closely monitor the border from their end.

SECTION 4. ENACTMENT CLAUSE.

This bill shall take effect immediately upon passage.

This post has been edited by BTroutman on Nov 29 2004, 04:39 AM
PMEmail PosterAOL
JonathanCid
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 08:21 AM
Quote Post

Prestige: 174

Member No.: 90

Mr. Speaker,

I strongly support this bill. It is not a matter of wishing to hold back the Mexican people, but simply a matter of American security. I myself will be working to strengthen the Port of Miami, and I honor the honorable Congressmen who authored and put together this bill.

Thank you,

I yield.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
bcarlson33
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 09:07 AM
Quote Post

Squeaky clean like a rubber duckie

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Mr. Speaker,

This is all fascinating, but isn't this bill missing something?

1) Illegal crossing over the border between the US and Mexico is hereby condemned.

2) The number of federal agents correctly along the border in all border states is hereby tripled.

4) Possible holes, blind spots or other potential ways into the US which could be used to get over the border (i.e. drainage pipes and ditches, tunnels, etc.) will be identified and closed off or specifically guarded.

5) The backs of all trucks, vans, sport utility vehicles and other vehicles which could be potentially used for smuggling must be checked before crossing the order.

I'm all for securing the border. But where's the money coming from? The bill as it's written will not work because there's no money to pay for any of this extra work. We can't expect the Border Patrol to magically pay for 16,000 new agents when they can't even afford the 8,000 they've got now.

Therefore, I move to amend the bill as follows:

To insert the following in Section 3:

8) A sum of $285,120,000 is appropriated to the U.S. Border Patrol and Immigration and Naturalization Services, for the fiscal year 2005, to be used for the purposes outlined in 2).
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
Dick Dexter
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

Si vous extrayez svp cette spatule � partir de votre �ne.

Member No.: 298

Mr. Speaker,

I second the amendment put forth by the Gentleman from New Hampshire.

I yield.
PMEmail Poster
weekendwarrior
Posted: Dec 7 2004, 07:13 PM
Quote Post

Speaker (The Legalist)

Member No.: 147

The following amendment has been passed

Original bill

6) Federal Agents and other American authorities are encouraged to work with Mexican authorities and

7) The United States Congress encourages the Mexican government and their authorities to more closely monitor the border from their end.

Proposed amendment

2) The number of federal agents currently stationed along the border in all border states shall be increased by approximately 50 percent, not to exceed 14,500 officers. Any funds appropriated for that purpose but not spent for hiring shall be used for professional development, officer training, and continuing education for officers in providing humanitarian assistance.

8) A sum of $285,120,000 is appropriated to the U.S. Border Patrol and Immigration and Naturalization Services, for the fiscal year 2005, to be used for the purposes outlined in 2).

PMEmail PosterAOL
Josh Dollins
Posted: Dec 7 2004, 10:19 PM
Quote Post

Officeholder

Member No.: 232

mr speaker

I'm all for immigration and free movement but at the same time security and legality is a very important manner I fully support this bill but would like to see the system improved to allow immigrants in at a faster pace but safely and legally homeland security-defense is far more important than foreign intervention and pre emptive wars
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.2767 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

Provided by Forum For Free - setup your very own free message board now!