Powered by Invision Power Board

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> Debate: Amendment Authorization UMFAS, Until 11 December
BTroutman
Posted: Nov 28 2004, 10:40 PM
Quote Post

We dont Fobes or Martin or Troutman

Group: Members
Member No.: 190

the following has been proposed as an amendment and seconded

To Amend Section 3 as follows:

Striking

(a) AUTHORIZATION. The President is authorized to use the Armed Forces of the United States as he determines to be necessary and appropriate in order to
(1) end genocide in the Sudan.
(2) remove the present Sudanese government from power.
(3) ensure peace and stability in the Sudan.

and adding

(a) AUTHORIZATION. The President is authorized to use the Armed Forces of the United States as he determines to be necessary and appropriate in order to
(4) provide a quality of life increase to the Sudanese people

PMEmail PosterAOL
John Elliot
Posted: Nov 28 2004, 10:43 PM
Quote Post

Officeholder

Member No.: 373

Mr. Speaker

I obviously love this ammendment.

I yield.
PMEmail Poster
SuperGenius
Posted: Nov 28 2004, 11:04 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Mr. Speaker,

I move for unanimous consent to adopt the amendment.
Chris Wogan
Posted: Nov 28 2004, 11:59 PM
Quote Post

Freshman

Member No.: 381

Mr. Speaker,

I second the motion for unanimous consent but would like to note that I do not support the authorization.

I yield.
PMEmail Poster
tompea
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 12:50 AM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Member No.: 317

Mr Speaker,
As i mentioned in the previosu debate, the language si small but significant with respect to any condcut by the president.

I second the UC.
I yield
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
JonathanCid
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 08:12 AM
Quote Post

Prestige: 174

Member No.: 90

Mr.Speaker,

I cannot fully support this ammendment whilst knowing that this to ensure a higher quality of living is something we could perhaps do for our neighbors below us in South America, and many other nations, and we are currently in the middle of two wars, part of one major war on terror. As much as I would like to provide for a higher standard of life for the Sudanese people; this is a job for organizations like the Red Cross, and humanitarian movements.

Thank you,

I yield.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
weekendwarrior
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 09:49 AM
Quote Post

Speaker (The Legalist)

Member No.: 147

Mr. Speaker

I object to the motion for Unanimous consent

I yield

This post has been edited by weekendwarrior on Nov 29 2004, 09:58 AM
PMEmail PosterAOL
SuperGenius
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 12:55 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Mr. Speaker,

It is truly ridiculous for any member to object to language that is symbolic in nature, that everyone agrees upon, and will only delay passage of the bill.

I yield.
Johnny 99
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

Officeholder

Member No.: 17

Mr. Speaker,

What reason does the gentleman from New York have for objecting to unanimous consent?

I yield
PMEmail Poster
weekendwarrior
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 02:44 PM
Quote Post

Speaker (The Legalist)

Mr. Speaker

To answer the right honourable gentlemen's inquiry my objection to Unanimous consent is for the following reasons. The first of which is a consideration as to how this rather vague goal is going to be achieved. It is a rather nice bit of symoblic language, but I do fear of having this addition passed without due consideration. With the previous resolution, the only requirement was to provide for a situation of relative stability following the conclusion of any fighting. With the proposed amendment not only will we have to engage in nation building to fix any and all damage to the infrastructure of the nation as a result of our military actions, but we must also increase the quality of life that already existed in that nation. Not only is this quality of life left woefully undefined, but so are the means to achieve and system to measure the quality of life left without a clear definition. The language may be symbolic in nature, but one should never underestimate the power of a symbol and its consequences.

I maintain my objection to unanimous consent.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterAOL
John Elliot
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 04:04 PM
Quote Post

Officeholder

Member No.: 373

Mr. Speaker:

Without that little addition, this authorization is just there for President Yoshida to attack another country and have no accountability to it. Come now, the representative from Tennessee, a leader of the Majority has embraced this amendment. President Yoshida must be held accountable. Without this, he will not be. More people will die innocently. I ask the representives of Flordia and New York if they want that on their mind.

I yield.
PMEmail Poster
weekendwarrior
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Speaker (The Legalist)

Mr. Speaker

A point of clarification on my position. I have not yet decided on whether or not to support this particular amendment, although I have already voiced my stern opposition to this bill. I do feel that we need to explore this matter thoroughly before assigning any responsibilities to the American people regarding this matter, for it is there tax dollars and the blood of their children that will be paid to achieve said goal. As for whether or not I understand the ramifications of the decisions and opinions that I voice on this floor then I can only direct him to the statements I made during the debate on the actual resolution.

I hope that we can begin to have a discuss as to how we are going to implement this requirement when the time comes.

I yield

This post has been edited by weekendwarrior on Nov 29 2004, 04:12 PM
PMEmail PosterAOL
tompea
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Member No.: 317

Mr Speaker,
I would like to offer an amendment to the amendment in order to hopefully addres the concerns of the gentleman from in the present issue.

I agree with the gentleman from TN that the language here is largely symbolic, but nevertheless.

and to add the phrases:

"quality of life" derives solely from the specific actions of the president under this act.  Nothing in this section shall be construed to incur added financial obligations on the part of the United States to provide "quality fo life" beyond the financial expenditures necessary under subsections (a) (1), (2), and (3) above.

It is my hope that colleagues will find this to be limiting of American tax dollars in this affair, in order that we may move on to the next amendment waiting for debate, and then finally to the substance of the bill itself.

I yield
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
SuperGenius
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 06:28 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Mr. Speaker,

I second that 2nd degree amendment and further ask for unanimous consent to adopt the second degree amendment to this current amendment and to then have that amendment adopted with unanimous consent.

weekendwarrior
Posted: Dec 9 2004, 04:20 PM
Quote Post

Speaker (The Legalist)

the following second degree amendment has failed to pass

the original bill

a) AUTHORIZATION. The President is authorized to use the Armed Forces of the United States as he determines to be necessary and appropriate in order to

The proposed amendment

a) AUTHORIZATION. The President is authorized to use the Armed Forces of the United States as he determines to be necessary and appropriate in order to
(4)"quality of life" derives solely from the specific actions of the president under this act.  Nothing in this section shall be construed to incur added financial obligations on the part of the United States to provide "quality fo life" beyond the financial expenditures necessary under subsections (a) (1), (2), and (3) above.
PMEmail PosterAOL
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.9542 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

Provided by Forum For Free - setup your very own free message board now!