Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> Debate:Russian Trade Act of 2004, (HR 1.133), Until 9 December
BTroutman
Posted: Nov 28 2004, 01:04 AM
Quote Post

We dont Fobes or Martin or Troutman

Group: Members
Member No.: 190

Labor Organization (ILO) or the United Nations Human Rights Commission, including the Rights of the Child.

Section 13. US-Russia Corporate Development Fund.

(a) The Fund shall be administered by a governing body consisting of an equal share of Russian and United States delegates from each countries respective trade and development governing body.
( The Fund shall administer low interest loans to Russian and US companies wishing to start new business within either country one a first start basis. The loan shall not exceed US$200 million or 10% of the total fund, whichever is smaller.
� No more than 50% of the fund may be administered to any one country�s new corporate developments.
(d) All corporations so eligible who receive the development loan shall be legally liable for default of the loan in the country of initial registering.
(e) All funds held by the Fund shall annually be accounted for and a report submitted to the governing body which shall submit a report to their respective governing bodies.

Section 14. US-Russian Aging Submarine Elimination Programme.

(a) The Russian Navy and the US Navy is to jointly oversee the decommission and eventual destruction and decontamination of any and all obsolete or aged submarines deemed hazardous or unseaworthy.
( Nothing from this section permits the gaining of access to classified information or materials, nor to such activities as to constitute spying on technology and nuclear or fissionable materials.
� Any and all ordinance of such submarines shall be dismantled or destroyed by the country of origin before decommission.

Section 15. US-Russian Agreement on Democratic Elections.

Both the United States of America and the Russian Federation agree to uphold the most stringent rights to democracy for its citizens and to enforce democratic election reforms. Both countries will strive for a more open and accountable election system.

Section 16. US-Russian Partnership in Combating Terrorism.

(A) Both countries recognise the need for greater efforts to combat world-wide terrorism and agree to investigate and persecute all individuals and corporations suspected or guilty of aiding either by financial, material or support means the activities or liberties of terrorists or their affiliates.
( Both countries agree to combat and prevent the trade in illegal weapons of mass destruction, including but not limited to; nuclear material including such parts as centrifuges and other necessary components for nuclear development, chemical and biological agents, technologies and scientific personnel capable of researching and developing weapons of mass destruction.
� Both countries agree to a process of entente with countries seeking to develop or construct such weapons of mass destruction in order to bring diplomatic pressure upon them.

Section 17. Enacting Clause

(A) All provisions contained herein shall become law and shall not be limited by any law previously enacted and hitherto among the federal laws of the United States or the Russian Federation.
( This bill shall become law immediately upon signing into law.

This post has been edited by BTroutman on Nov 28 2004, 01:07 AM
PMEmail PosterAOL
tompea
Posted: Nov 28 2004, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Member No.: 317

Mr Speaker,
At present I do not see enough information here for me to fully support or oppose this bill.

I am gald to see the bi-lateral structure of the fund's administration, and the provisions for loan default. I am glad to see the mutual agreements to promote democratic institutions, to address aging military submarines, the protection of classified information, as well as the indications about terror protections. In this light, the bill demonstrates thought and common sense.

If I understand the language correctly, (possible typo?), the loans will be given on a first come, first served basis. What I find troubling in this is the absence of any other criteria under which loans will be made. I have no special expertise here, but I would think some provisions referencing standard industry practice, financial criteria, the submission of busines plans, and other such indices from the banking industry would be in order.

My second question is simple. What are the anticipated capital requirements fo this fund, and what portion of that is the US expected to bear?

Perhaps one of the authors coudl be called to the floor to quantify the bill in these 2 areas.

I yield.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Dick Dexter
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 09:48 AM
Quote Post

Si vous extrayez svp cette spatule � partir de votre �ne.

Member No.: 298

Mr. Speaker,

Given recent events, I think that we need to strengthen language contained in the bill regarding democratic elections.

Both the United States of America and the Russian Federation agree to uphold the most stringent rights to democracy for its citizens and to enforce democratic election reforms. Both countries will strive for a more open and accountable election system.

I move that the bill be amended as follows.

Both the United States of America and the Russian Federation agree to uphold the most stringent rights to democracy for its citizens and to enforce democratic election reforms. Both countries will strive for a more open and accountable election system. Both countries will strive to ensure more open and accountable election systems in member nations of the Commonwealth of Independent States.

This post has been edited by Dick Dexter on Nov 29 2004, 09:48 AM
PMEmail Poster
tompea
Posted: Nov 29 2004, 10:58 AM
Quote Post

Safe Incumbent

Member No.: 317

Mr Speaker,
I gladly second the amendment.
I leave my questions as to the qualifications for loans, and the seed money for the fund open.

I yield
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
weekendwarrior
Posted: Dec 7 2004, 07:19 PM
Quote Post

Speaker (The Legalist)

Member No.: 147

The following amendment has passed

The original bill

The proposed amendment

Both the United States of America and the Russian Federation agree to uphold the most stringent rights to democracy for its citizens and to enforce democratic election reforms. Both countries will strive for a more open and accountable election system. Both countries will strive to ensure more open and accountable election systems in member nations of the Commonwealth of Independent States
PMEmail PosterAOL
Josh Dollins
Posted: Dec 7 2004, 10:15 PM
Quote Post

Officeholder

Member No.: 232

mr speaker

Its really none of our business what the political process is like in any country but our own, I do not support this bill and encourage others to join me in not doing so on the grounds I mentioned with the amendment or without we would do better to abolish and encourage russia to do the same with tarrifs which can be done through the russian free trade act
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 3.0608 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

Provided by Forum For Free - setup your very own free message board now!